The 2018 Balanced Man Scholarship Application has closed. Applicants will be contacted soon regarding their application. Thank you to all that applied!
The men of Sigma Phi Epsilon offer the Balanced Man Scholarship (BMS) to first-year and transfer students in order to reward men that embody SigEp's principles of Sound Mind and Sound Body.
The 2018 Balanced Man Scholarship is due Sunday, September 16 at 11:59pm CST.
- $1,000 to the first-place applicant
- $800 to the second-place applicant
- $500 to the third place applicant
- $100 to seven applicants deserving of an honorable mention
The Balanced Man Scholarship Program
Applicants for the Balanced Man Scholarship will undergo an extended interview process by which the BMS Chairmen and the rest of the selection committee will evaluate the extent to which they embody our principles of Sound Mind and Sound Body. The BMS process begins with the submission of the application form. Each applicant's submission will be evaluated based on their high-school achievements and written responses. Successful applications will earn a first-round interview. Applicants will be selected based on their interview to participate in the Balanced Man Scholarship Program.
The extended interview process by which candidates are selected is comprised of several events designed to help candidates adjust to college life, build leadership skills, and develop a sound mind and sound body. The 2018 BMS programming will include:
- Making the Most of Your Four Years (2018/09/19)
A panel discussion intended to suggest ways that applicants can maximize their personal, professional, and intellectual growth in college. Panelists include:
- Dr. Doug Tougaw, Chair of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Valparaiso University
- Dr. Mark Robison, Political Science Librarian at Notre Dame University
- Steve Janowiak, Director of the Harre Union at Valparaiso University
- Richard Sévère, Associate professor of English at Valparaiso University
- David Mackey, Senior brother in Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Skills that Balanced Men Should Know (2018/10/05)
Learn practical skills from the men of Sigma Phi Epsilon. Attendees will learn:
- How to change a tire
- How to buy stocks
- How to properly iron a shirt
- How to tie a tie (or bowtie!)
- How to lift weights with proper form
- How to cook (and eat) pancakes, eggs, and sausage.
- How to tie knots
- Leadership Retreat (2018/11/02-03)
The Assistant Dean of Students for Greek Life, Leadership, and Volunteer Programs, Carolyn Whittier, will facilitate an interactive leadership retreat for applicants during the morning. During the afternoon, applicants will go to a high ropes course and learn the importance of relying on each other to overcome challenges.
The 2019 Balanced Man Scholarship Application will be posted in April, 2019. Check back in April to fill out the application!